Main Article Content
This article discusses management of leadership in the madrasah environment. The main focus of this article is on the challenges faced by madrasah leaders in managing change and resistance from stakeholders. This research is a qualitative study that draws on practical experiences of leadership management in the madrasah environment. The case study approach can provide a detailed picture of the situations and challenges faced by madrasah leaders in managing change and resistance, as well as the strategies used to address them. In the case study, data can be obtained through interviews, observations, and document analysis to provide a more comprehensive picture of the case being studied. Through literature review and practical experiences, this article discusses several effective leadership management strategies for managing change and resistance in the madrasah environment. This article also discusses the importance of effective communication and participation from all relevant parties in the leadership management process in madrasah. This article is expected to contribute to the development of leadership management in the madrasah environment and strengthen the role of madrasah in shaping the character and personality of the younger generation. The results presented show that: First, school leadership management can respond to resistance from school communities by acting as a source of information, initiator of innovation programs, and agent/driving force in overcoming school community resistance to curriculum changes. Good school leadership management can help improve the quality of education in madrasahs, strengthen leadership positions inside and outside the school, and create a conducive and innovative working environment for teachers and school staff. Second, in order to overcome school community resistance to curriculum changes, visionary, participative leadership that is capable of initiating innovation programs is required. The school principal as a leader must understand the conditions and characteristics of the madrasah, be able to communicate clear and consistent vision and goals, and motivate teachers and school staff to work together in overcoming these challenges.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
By exercising the Licensed Rights, You accept and agree to be bound by the terms and conditions of this Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International Public License.
- Aflisia, N., Rini, R., & Fikri, A. (2019). Integration of Local Wisdom in Arabic Learning. Jurnal Al Bayan: Jurnal Jurusan Pendidikan Bahasa Arab, 11(2), Article 2. https://doi.org/10.24042/albayan.v11i2.4719
- Akdere, M., & Egan, T. (2020). Transformational leadership and human resource development: Linking employee learning, job satisfaction, and organizational performance. Human Resource Development Quarterly, 31(4), 393–421. https://doi.org/10.1002/hrdq.21404
- Al-Husseini, S., El Beltagi, I., & Moizer, J. (2021). Transformational leadership and innovation: The mediating role of knowledge sharing amongst higher education faculty. International Journal of Leadership in Education, 24(5), 670–693. https://doi.org/10.1080/13603124.2019.1588381
- Brisset, N. (2017). On Performativity: Option Theory and The Resistance of Financial Phenomena. Journal of the History of Economic Thought, 39(4), 549–569. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1053837217000128
- Bruskin, S. (2019). A drifting phenomenon: Organizational change failure in a becoming view. Journal of Organizational Change Management, 32(6), 605–620. https://doi.org/10.1108/JOCM-11-2018-0310
- Burnes, B. (2015). Understanding Resistance to Change – Building on Coch and French. Journal of Change Management, 15(2), 92–116. https://doi.org/10.1080/14697017.2014.969755
- Busey, C. L., & Walker, I. (2017). A Dream and a Bus: Black Critical Patriotism in Elementary Social Studies Standards. Theory & Research in Social Education, 45(4), 456–488. https://doi.org/10.1080/00933104.2017.1320251
- Bush, T. (2020). Theories of Educational Leadership and Management. Theories of Educational Leadership and Management, 1–208.
- Cai, Y., & Tang, R. (2021). School support for teacher innovation: Mediating effects of teacher self-efficacy and moderating effects of trust. Thinking Skills and Creativity, 41, 100854. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tsc.2021.100854
- Celadyn, M. (2020). Integrative Design Classes for Environmental Sustainability of Interior Architectural Design. Sustainability, 12(18), Article 18. https://doi.org/10.3390/su12187383
- Compton, W. C. (2018). Self-Actualization Myths: What Did Maslow Really Say? Journal of Humanistic Psychology, 0022167818761929. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022167818761929
- Demak, A. K., Rawis, J. A. M., Paturusi, A., & Lengkong, J. S. J. (2022). Creative Leadership Behavior of the Madrasah Tsanawiyah Negeri’s Principals in North Sulawesi. Journal of the Community Development in Asia (JCDA), 5(2), Article 2. https://doi.org/10.32535/jcda.v5i2.1496
- Devi, A. D., & Subiyantoro, S. (2021). Implementation of Democratic Leadership Style and Transformational Head of Madrasah in Improving The Quality. Nidhomul Haq : Jurnal Manajemen Pendidikan Islam, 6(1), Article 1. https://doi.org/10.31538/ndh.v6i1.1162
- Fathih, M. A., Supriyatno, T., & Nur, M. A. (2021). Visionary Leadership of The Head of Diniyah Madrasah in Improving The Quality Santri. Nidhomul Haq : Jurnal Manajemen Pendidikan Islam, 6(3), Article 3. https://doi.org/10.31538/ndh.v6i3.1527
- Fisher, G., Mayer, K., & Morris, S. (2021). From the Editors—Phenomenon-Based Theorizing. Academy of Management Review, 46(4), 631–639. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.2021.0320
- Fitrahayunitisna, F., & Zulvarina, P. (2017). The Efforts to Strengthen National Identity Through Ethical Value and Local Wisdom in Oral Literature. ISLLAC : Journal of Intensive Studies on Language, Literature, Art, and Culture, 1(2), Article 2. https://doi.org/10.17977/um006v1i22017p019
- Fulu, E., & Miedema, S. (2016). Globalization and Changing Family Relations: Family Violence and Women’s Resistance in Asian Muslim Societies. Sex Roles, 74(11), 480–494. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11199-015-0540-7
- Gašević, D., Dawson, S., Rogers, T., & Gasevic, D. (2016). Learning analytics should not promote one size fits all: The effects of instructional conditions in predicting academic success. The Internet and Higher Education, 28, 68–84. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.iheduc.2015.10.002
- Hanelt, A., Bohnsack, R., Marz, D., & Antunes Marante, C. (2021). A Systematic Review of the Literature on Digital Transformation: Insights and Implications for Strategy and Organizational Change. Journal of Management Studies, 58(5), 1159–1197. https://doi.org/10.1111/joms.12639
- Hasanah, S. N. (2017). The Leadership Role’s of The Head of Madrasah as Organizational Change Actors. EDUKASI : Jurnal Pendidikan Islam (e-Journal), 5(2), Article 2.
- Hisbullah, H. (2020). Implementasi Manajemen Pembelajaran Kurikulum 2013 di MI Darul Khaeriyah Kecamatan Suli Kabupaten Luwu. Didaktika: Jurnal Kependidikan, 9(1), Article 1.
- Holdsworth, S., & Maynes, N. (2017). “But What If I Fail?” A Meta-Synthetic Study of the Conditions Supporting Teacher Innovation. Canadian Journal of Education / Revue Canadienne de l’éducation, 40(4), 665–703.
- Hussin, S., & Al Abri, S. (2015). Professional Development Needs of School Principals in the Context of Educational Reform. International Journal of Educational Administration and Policy Studies, 7(4). https://eric.ed.gov/?id=EJ1075872
- Jena, R. K. (2015). Technostress in ICT enabled collaborative learning environment: An empirical study among Indian academician. Computers in Human Behavior, 51, 1116–1123. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2015.03.020
- Jia, J., Liu, H., Chin, T., & Hu, D. (2018). The Continuous Mediating Effects of GHRM on Employees’ Green Passion via Transformational Leadership and Green Creativity. Sustainability, 10(9), Article 9. https://doi.org/10.3390/su10093237
- Krems, J. A., Kenrick, D. T., & Neel, R. (2017). Individual Perceptions of Self-Actualization: What Functional Motives Are Linked to Fulfilling One’s Full Potential? Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 43(9), 1337–1352. https://doi.org/10.1177/0146167217713191
- Kursan Milaković, I. (2021). Purchase experience during the COVID-19 pandemic and social cognitive theory: The relevance of consumer vulnerability, resilience, and adaptability for purchase satisfaction and repurchase. International Journal of Consumer Studies, 45(6), 1425–1442. https://doi.org/10.1111/ijcs.12672
- Lee, C., Hallak, R., & Sardeshmukh, S. R. (2016). Innovation, entrepreneurship, and restaurant performance: A higher-order structural model. Tourism Management, 53, 215–228. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2015.09.017
- Lee, J. S., Lee, S., & Noh, T. W. (2015). Resistive switching phenomena: A review of statistical physics approaches. Applied Physics Reviews, 2(3), 031303. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4929512
- Matthews, S. (2020). Creating a Culture of Data-Informed Strategic Enrollment Management at a Canadian Higher Educational Institution. The Organizational Improvement Plan at Western University. https://ir.lib.uwo.ca/oip/148
- Misbah, M., Sulaeman, S., & Bakhri, S. (2019). Role of Leadership in Organizational Change: A Case Study at Attaqwa Putra Islamic Boarding School Bekasi - Indonesia. Asian Journal of Contemporary Education, 3(1), 72–84. https://doi.org/10.18488/journal.137.2019.31.72.84
- Nkomo, S. M., Bell, M. P., Roberts, L. M., Joshi, A., & Thatcher, S. M. B. (2019). Diversity at a Critical Juncture: New Theories for a Complex Phenomenon. Academy of Management Review, 44(3), 498–517. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.2019.0103
- Nurbayan, Y., Sauri, S., & Sanusi, A. (2021). Developing an International Standardized Arabic Language Education Curriculum: Introducing a Conception-Focused Design and Outcome. Al-Ta’rib : Jurnal Ilmiah Program Studi Pendidikan Bahasa Arab IAIN Palangka Raya, 9(2), Article 2. https://doi.org/10.23971/altarib.v9i2.3264
- Nurdin, H. (2020). Problems and Crisis of Islamic Education Today and in the Future. International Journal of Asian Education, 1(1), 21–28. https://doi.org/10.46966/ijae.v1i1.17
- Otley, D. (2016). The contingency theory of management accounting and control: 1980–2014. Management Accounting Research, 31, 45–62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mar.2016.02.001
- Schwarz, G. M., & Stensaker, I. G. (2016). Showcasing phenomenon-driven research on organizational change. Journal of Change Management, 16(4), 245–264. https://doi.org/10.1080/14697017.2016.1230931
- Shao, Z., Feng, Y., & Hu, Q. (2016). Effectiveness of top management support in enterprise systems success: A contingency perspective of fit between leadership style and system life-cycle. European Journal of Information Systems, 25(2), 131–153. https://doi.org/10.1057/ejis.2015.6
- Somantri, C. (2021, December 8). Leadership of community education: Evidence from Indonesia [Thesis (University of Nottingham only)]. University of Nottingham. http://eprints.nottingham.ac.uk/66888/
- Sumadi, S., & Ma’ruf, M. H. (2020). Implementation of the Concept and Theory of Management Functions in Efforts to Improve Quality. International Journal of Economics, Business and Accounting Research (IJEBAR), 4(02), Article 02. https://doi.org/10.29040/ijebar.v4i02.1114
- Sun, R., & Henderson, A. C. (2017). Transformational Leadership and Organizational Processes: Influencing Public Performance. Public Administration Review, 77(4), 554–565. https://doi.org/10.1111/puar.12654
- Whitehead, P. M. (2017). Goldstein’s self-actualization: A biosemiotic view. The Humanistic Psychologist, 45, 71–83. https://doi.org/10.1037/hum0000047
- Yin, J., Ma, Z., Yu, H., Jia, M., & Liao, G. (2019). Transformational leadership and employee knowledge sharing: Explore the mediating roles of psychological safety and team efficacy. Journal of Knowledge Management, 24(2), 150–171. https://doi.org/10.1108/JKM-12-2018-0776
- Yost, P. R., Yoder, M. P., Chung, H. H., & Voetmann, K. R. (2015). Narratives at work: Story arcs, themes, voice, and lessons that shape organizational life. Consulting Psychology Journal: Practice and Research, 67, 163–188. https://doi.org/10.1037/cpb0000043
- Zaini, M. F., & Syafaruddin, S. (2020). The Leadership Behavior of Madrasah Principals in Improving the Quality of Education in MAN 3 Medan. Jurnal Iqra’ : Kajian Ilmu Pendidikan, 5(2), 95–106. https://doi.org/10.25217/ji.v5i2.649
- Zembylas, M. (2021). Refusal as affective and pedagogical practice in higher education decolonization: A modest proposal. Teaching in Higher Education, 26(7–8), 953–968. https://doi.org/10.1080/13562517.2021.1900816
- Zhou, M., Luo, J., Villella, J., Yang, Y., Rusu, D., Miao, J., Zhang, W., Alban, M., Fadakar, I., Chen, Z., Huang, A. C., Wen, Y., Hassanzadeh, K., Graves, D., Chen, D., Zhu, Z., Nguyen, N., Elsayed, M., Shao, K., … Wang, J. (2020). SMARTS: Scalable Multi-Agent Reinforcement Learning Training School for Autonomous Driving (arXiv:2010.09776). arXiv. https://doi.org/10.48550/arXiv.2010.09776