Main Article Content
The barrier between employees, or the barrier between employees and supervisors in the marketing agency context has been a serious issue that causes detrimental consequences, such as demotivation, degrading productivity, and reduced work performance among employees. The importance of the supervisor and co-worker support has now become a crucial topic, as it is proven to be advantageous for organizations. This research was conducted using questionnaires back in December 2019 until January 2020, in which the respondents consisted of 230 marketing agencies of financial services in DKI Jakarta. The data was analyzed using Structural Equation Model (SEM). There are some significant results in this research. Firstly, there is an association between supervisor support and employee motivation. Secondly, there is an association between co-worker support and work motivation. Next, there is an association between co-worker support and job satisfaction. Fourth, there is an association between work motivation and job satisfaction. Moreover, there is an association between work motivation and employee performance. Lastly, there is an association between job satisfaction and employee performance. However, there is no significant association between supervisor support and job satisfaction.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
By exercising the Licensed Rights, You accept and agree to be bound by the terms and conditions of this Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International Public License.
- Aaker, D. A. (1991). Managing Brand Equity: Capitalizing on the Value of a Brand Name.
- Adeogun, J. (2008). Will monetary motivation lead to an increase in job performance and job satisfaction? A study at multicultural for-profit institutions of higher learning. 1–178. Retrieved from https://search.proquest.com/docview/304827445/EA24D018345B4F8DPQ/8?accountid=139266
- Ahmat, N. H. C. (2018). Hospitality Management: Impact of implementing national minimum wage on the Malaysian hotel employees. Dissertation: Ames, Iowa, 53(9), 1689–1699. https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9781107415324.004
- Anindita, R., Seda, A. E., & Perspectives, B. (2018). How employee engagement mediates the influence of individual factors toward organizational commitment. 16(1), 1–8.
- Barasa, L., Gunawan, A., Sumali, B., Tinggi, S., Pelayaran, I., Tinggi, S., … Ilmu, S. T. (2018). Determinants of Job Satisfaction and it ’ s Implication on Employee Performance of Port Enterprises in DKI Jakarta. 8(5), 43–49.
- Basford, T. E., & Offermann, L. R. (2012). Beyond leadership: The impact of coworker relationships on employee motivation and intent to stay. Journal of Management and Organization, 18(6), 807–817. https://doi.org/10.5172/jmo.2012.18.6.807
- Bateman, G. (2009). Employee perceptions of co-worker support and its effect on job satisfaction, work stress and intention to quit. Masters of Science in Applied Psychology, 1–61.
- Bhatti, M. A., Battour, M. M., Sundram, V. P. K., & Othman, A. A. (2013). Transfer of training: Does it truly happen?: An examination of support, instrumentality, retention and learner readiness on the transfer motivation and transfer of training. European Journal of Training and Development, 37(3), 273–297. https://doi.org/10.1108/03090591311312741
- Brahma, S. S., & Chakraborty, H. (2019). A Moderated Mediation Analysis of Supportive Work Environment , Motivation to Transfer and Training Transfer in the Small and Medium Retail Firms in Saudi Arabia. Journal of Business and Strategy, (2), 7–27.
- Charoensukmongkol, P., Moqbel, M., & Gutierrez-Wirsching, S. (2016). The role of co-worker and supervisor support on job burnout and job satisfaction. Journal of Advances in Management Research, 13(1), 4–22. https://doi.org/10.1108/JAMR-06-2014-0037
- Chiaburu, D. S., Dam, K. Van, & Hutchins, H. M. (2010). Social support in the workplace and training effectiveness Social Support in the Workplace and Training Transfer : A longitudinal analysis.
- Chiaburu, D. S., & Harrison, D. A. (2008). Do Peers Make the Place? Conceptual Synthesis and Meta-Analysis of Coworker Effects on Perceptions, Attitudes, OCBs, and Performance. Journal of Applied Psychology, 93(5), 1082–1103. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.93.5.1082
- Desrosiers, E. I. (2001). Telework and work attitudes: The relationship between telecommuting and employee job satisfaction, organizational commitment, perceived organizational support, and perceived co -worker support. Purdue University. https://doi.org/10.16953/deusbed.74839
- Doll, W. J., Xia, W., & Torkzadeh, G. (2011). A Confirmatory Factor Analysis of the EUCS Instrument. MIS Quarterly, 18(4), 453–461.
- Eisenberger, R., Stinglhamber, F., Vandenberghe, C., Sucharski, I. L., & Rhoades, L. (2002). Perceived supervisor support: Contributions to perceived organizational support and employee retention. Journal of Applied Psychology, 87(3), 565–573. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.87.3.565
- Elias, S. M., & Mittal, R. (2011). The importance of supervisor support for a change initiative: An analysis of job satisfaction and involvement. International Journal of Organizational Analysis, 19(4), 305–316. https://doi.org/10.1108/19348831111173432
- Ellickson, M. C., & Logsdon, K. (2002). Determinants of job satisfaction of municipal government employees. Public Personnel Management, 31(3), 343–358. https://doi.org/10.1177/009102600203100307
- Hair, Anderson, Tatham, & B. (2008). Multivariate. Data Analysis Fifth Edition. USA: Prentice Hall International Inc.
- Hair, J. F., Black, W. C., Babin, B. J., & Anderson, R. E. (2014). Multivariate Data Analysis (MVDA). In Pharmaceutical Quality by Design: A Practical Approach. https://doi.org/10.1002/9781118895238.ch8
- Hee, O. C., Kamaludin, N., & Ping, L. (2016). Motivation and job performance among nurses in the health tourism hospital in Malaysia. International Review of Management and Marketing, 6(4), 668–672.
- Hussain, R. I., Usman, S., Sarmad, S. M., & Haq, I. U. (2010). Effect of Work Motivation on Job Satisfaction in Telecommunication Sector of Pakistan-a Case Study of Pakistan Telecommunication Company Limited (Ptcl). International Journal of Asian Social Science, 2(11), 1925–1933. Retrieved from www.aessweb.com
- Janssen, O., & Van Yperen, N. W. (2004). Employees’ goal orientations, the quality of leader-member exchange, and the outcomes of job performance and job satisfaction. Academy of Management Journal, 47(3), 368–384. https://doi.org/10.2307/20159587
- Jimmieson, N. L., McKimmie, B. M., Hannam, R. L., & Gallagher, J. (2010). An investigation of the stress-buffering effects of social support in the occupational stress process as a function of team identification. Group Dynamics, 14(4), 350–367. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0018631
- Judge, T. A., Thoresen, C. J., Bono, J. E., & Patton, G. K. (2001). JS-JP published. Psychological Bulletin, 127(3), 376–407. Retrieved from http://panglossinc.com/JS-JP published.pdf
- Khalid, A., & Rathore, K. (2018). Mediating Effect of Work-Life Balance on Work Motivation of Post-Graduate Trainee Doctors in Public Sector Hospitals: Evidence From Pakistan. Pakistan Economic and Social Review, 56(1), 93–119. Retrieved from http://ezproxy.nottingham.ac.uk/login?url=https://search.proquest.com/docview/2125617421?accountid=8018%0Ahttp://sfx.nottingham.ac.uk/sfx_local/?url_ver=Z39.88-2004&rft_val_fmt=info:ofi/fmt:kev:mtx:journal&genre=article&sid=ProQ:ProQ%3Aibss&atitle=MEDIATI
- Lee, S., Yun, T., & Lee, S. Y. (2015). Moderating role of social support in the stressor-satisfaction relationship: Evidence from police officers in Korea. International Review of Public Administration, 20(1), 102–116. https://doi.org/10.1080/12294659.2014.982271
- Li, L., Hu, H., Zhou, H., He, C., Fan, L., Liu, X., … Sun, T. (2014). Work stress, work motivation and their effects on job satisfaction in community health workers: A cross-sectional survey in China. BMJ Open, 4(6). https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2014-004897
- Lolowang, N. L., Troena, E. A., Djazuli, A., & Aisjah, S. (2019). The effect of leadership and organizational culture on employee performance that is educated by motivation (study on the implementation empowerment programs in Jayapura city). Problems and Perspectives in Management, 17(1), 268–277. https://doi.org/10.21511/ppm.17(1).2019.23
- Luthans, F. (2012). Organizational behavior an evidence-based approach 12th edition. In Organizational behavior: an edivence-based approach.
- Ma, L., Xing, Y., Wang, Y., & Chen, H. T. (2013). Research on the relationship among enterprise employee’s job satisfaction, organizational commitment and job performance. Applied Mechanics and Materials, 411–414, 2477–2480. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.411-414.2477
- McCalister, K. T., Dolbier, C. L., Webster, J. A., Mallon, M. W., & Steinhardt, M. A. (2006). Hardiness and support at work as predictors of work stress and job satisfaction. American Journal of Health Promotion, 20(3), 183–191. https://doi.org/10.4278/0890-1171-20.3.183
- Mohammadi, D., Saymohammadi, S., SHIRI, N., & Rezvanfar, A. (2013). Factors Affecting Job Satisfaction Among Personnel of the Jihad-E-Keshavarzi Organization of Ilam Province, Iran. Management Research and Practice, 5(2), 85.
- Moran, G. S., Russinova, Z., Yim, J. Y., & Sprague, C. (2014). Motivations of persons with psychiatric disabilities to work in mental health peer services: A qualitative study using self-determination theory. Journal of Occupational Rehabilitation, 24(1), 32–41. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10926-013-9440-2
- Naidoo, R. (2018). Role stress and turnover intentions among information technology personnel in South Africa: The role of supervisor support. SA Journal of Human Resource Management, 16, 1–11. https://doi.org/10.4102/sajhrm.v16i0.936
- Nielsen, S. K. (2015). Support or fairness? Differential effects of social support and organizational justice on work outcomes. American Journal of Management, 15(4), 26.
- Peterson, S. M. (2010). Repatriate knowledge sharing environment: Measure development and the impact of personality variables. ProQuest Dissertations and Theses, 222. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com/docview/194131306?accountid=42681
- Petty, G. C., Lim, D. H., & Zulauf, J. (2007). Training Transfer between CD-ROM Based Instruction and Traditional Classroom Instruction. The Journal of Technology Studies, 33(1), 48–56. https://doi.org/10.21061/jots.v33i1.a.7
- Pila-Ngarm, P., & Siengthai, S. (2017). Job redesign and employee performance: The mediating effects of human capital investment and job satisfaction. Organization Development Journal, 35(2), 79–99.
- Punnakitikashem, P., Maimun, A., & Rakthin, S. (2017). Supportive factors of job and life satisfaction: Empirical evidence from disclosed lesbian, gay, and bisexual (LGB) workforce in Thailand. Journal of Management and Organization, 5, 1–20. https://doi.org/10.1017/jmo.2017.32
- Saleem Shakeela, Shaheen Wasim Abbas, S. R. (2012). The Impact of Job Enrichment and Job Enlargement on Employees Satisfaction keeping Employee Performance as Intervening Variable: A Correlational Study from Pakistan, Arabian Journal of Business and Management Review. Vol. 1(7), 145–166.
- Seiberling, C., & Kauffeld, S. (2017). Volition to transfer: mastering obstacles in training transfer. Personnel Review, 46(4), 809–823. https://doi.org/10.1108/PR-08-2015-0202
- Shahzadi, I., Javed, A., Pirzada, S. S., Nasreen, S., & Khanam, F. (2014). Impact of Employee Motivation on Employee Performance. European Journal of Business and ManagementOnline), 6(23), 2222–2839.
- Siengthai, S., & Pila-Ngarm, P. (2016). The interaction effect of job redesign and job satisfaction on employee performance. Evidence-Based HRM, 4(2), 162–180. https://doi.org/10.1108/EBHRM-01-2015-0001
- Song, Z., Mavrides, G., & Bates, R. (n.d.). an Exploratory Study of Hotel Learning Transfer Systems in Haikou , China an Exploratory Study of Hotel Learning Transfer Systems in Haikou , China.
- Springer, G. J. (2010). Job Motivation, Satisfaction and Performance Among Bank Employees: A Correlational Study. Dissertation Submitted to Northcentral University, (August).
- Stello, C. M. (2012). Herzberg’s Two-Factor Theory of Job Satisfaction: An Integrative Literature Review. Department of Organizational Leadership, Policy, and Development College of Education and Human Development University of Minnesota, 66, 37–39.
- Sudiardhita, K. I. R., & Jakarta, U. N. (2018). THE EFFECT OF COMPENSATION , MOTIVATION OF EMPLOYEE AND WORK SATISFACTION TO EMPLOYEE PERFORMANCE PT . BANK XYZ ( PERSERO ) TBK. 17(4), 1–15.
- Sugiyono. (2012). Metode Penelitian Kuantitatif, Kualitatif, dan R&D. Bandung: Alfabeta.
- Suleiman, W., Dassanayake, M. S., & Abang Othman, A. E. (2017). Mediation of transfer motivation on the relationship between supervisor support, peer support and transfer of training. International Journal of Business and Society, 18(3), 605–617.
- Tatsuse, T., & Sekine, M. (2011). Explaining global job satisfaction by facets of job satisfaction: The Japanese civil servants study. Environmental Health and Preventive Medicine, 16(2), 133–137. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12199-010-0173-y
- Tucker, M. K., Jimmieson, N. L., & Bordia, P. (2018). Supervisor support as a double-edged sword: Supervisor emotion management accounts for the buffering and reverse-buffering effects of supervisor support. International Journal of Stress Management, 25(1), 14–34. https://doi.org/10.1037/str0000046
- Urošević, S., & Milijić, N. (2012). Influence of Demographic Factors on Employee Satisfaction and Motivation. Organizacija, 45(4), 174–182. https://doi.org/10.2478/v10051-012-0019-z
- Véronneau, M. H., Vitaro, F., Brendgen, M., Dishion, T. J., & Tremblay, R. E. (2010). Transactional Analysis of the Reciprocal Links Between Peer Experiences and Academic Achievement From Middle Childhood to Early Adolescence. Developmental Psychology, 46(4), 773–790. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0019816
- Wild, R. (1970). Job needs, job satisfaction, and job behavior of women manual workers. Journal of Applied Psychology, 54(2), 157–162. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0029055
- Will, R., Support, S., & Learning, S. (n.d.). Sustaining : Support. 178–190.
- Wong, R. (2018). PERCEPTION ORGANIZATION SUPPORT AND PERCEPTION SUPERVISOR SUPPORT : IMPACT ON EMPLOYEES ’ JOB SATISFACTION AND WORK ENGAGEMENT.
- Yang, H. (2008). Efficiency wages and subjective performance pay. Economic Inquiry, 46(2), 179–196. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1465-7295.2007.00069.x
- Youngcourt., S. S. (2005). EXAMINATION OF SUPERVISOR ASSESSMENTS OF EMPLOYEE WORK–LIFE CONFLICT, SUPERVISOR SUPPORT, AND SUBSEQUENT OUTCOMES. A Dissertation : Major Subject: Psychology, (December), 1–16.
- Zhou, J., & George, J. M. (2001). When job dissatisfaction leads to creativity: Encouraging the expression of voice. Academy of Management Journal, 44(4), 682–696. https://doi.org/10.2307/3069410